wtorek, września 21, 2010

Fighting with samba and windows7

And there's still time for me to write something, before I forgot what have I done :D

Today I was reinstalling win7ultimate on my dad's comp, and after it installed (nb: screwed disk tape is a bitch, had to bypass it using USB-IDE dongle) without any major software-realted problem, i had to join it to Samba-3.5.5 domain (without AD).
First step was to made necessary changes to win7 registry, described here. To quickly quote:

HKLM\System\CCS\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
DWORD  DomainCompatibilityMode = 1
DWORD  DNSNameResolutionRequired = 0

It connected almost without problems (remember READ WHOLE ERROR POP-UPS!) I was ready to install additional software from my server, without having to enter password twice after each reboot. So log so good. But then i noticed Win7 is not loading remote profile. Only temporary profile was created.

First problem was in profile path - in linux it was something like \\%L\profiles\scor, which windows couldn't resolve (i encountered this problem some time before, so it was easy to change %L to "server"). Then it greeted me with "Access denied". I was like, WTF? All permissions were good, ans so on, and so on...

Problem was fixed only after I dug up some obscure key in registry, located in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. One of the sub-keys (CentralProfile) pointed my profile path to \\server\profiles\scor.V2 . Another WTF? Even if I changed this to point to \\server\profiles\scor, after re-log it would be back to the same state. Strange for me, but Micro$oft logic was always beyond understanding. So I created \\server\profiles\scor.V2, re-logged and voila! it works.
Next time i'm gonna use symlinking.

Hope it helps!

Brak komentarzy: